Online Content Associate
Freedom to Marry is the campaign to win marriage nationwide. Driving the Roadmap to Victory national strategy, Freedom to Marry creates the climate for a Supreme Court victory by working on three tracks: growing the national majority for marriage, winning the freedom to marry in more states, and ending federal marriage discrimination. Freedom to Marry partners with individuals and organizations across the country to end the exclusion of same-sex couples from marriage and the protections, responsibilities, and commitment that marriage brings.
The Online Content Associate will work with the Digital Director and Online Content Manager to build digital campaigns that advance the freedom to marry in the South through Southerners for the Freedom to Marry, a partnership of Freedom to Marry and statewide/regional equality organizations.
This demanding position requires work during evenings and weekends.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Work alongside Online Content Manager to develop digital content strategy focused on building public support for the freedom to marry in Southern states
- Write and edit content for the Freedom to Marry site focused on Southern states, including profiles of couples/families and allied supporters, descriptions of campaign events and activities, and breaking news developments
- Develop social media content designed to grow and motivate core supporters and persuade new supporters to join our Southern effort. Provide coalition partners in certain states with shareable social media content
- Ensure that online content is accurate, thorough, user-friendly, and up-to-date
- Contribute when needed to the overall Freedom to Marry web presence
- Bachelor’s degree preferred plus 2 to 4 years experience in social media, digital media and political campaigns
- Strong interviewing, writing and editing skills are required
- In-depth grasp of LGBT political developments and the marriage movement
- Previous experience working in the LGBT or marriage movements strongly desired
- Demonstrated record of success in managing innovative online campaigns for social change
- Experience with CRM systems (i.e. Salsa, Convio, BSD Tools) and/or online content management systems a plus
- Some knowledge of HTML coding preferred
- Experience in Adobe Photoshop and other graphic design programs a plus
- Passion and commitment to winning the freedom to marry
- Self-driven working style and ability to juggle multiple projects at a time
- Strong work ethic and willingness to work nights and weekends as needed
The New York City based position is open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity and national origin, age, gender, physical ability, sexual orientation, gender identity, HIV status, religious affiliation, etc.
Salary & Benefits:
Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience. Healthcare and dental coverage, public transit subsidy, generous 401k and other benefits.
Email resumes, cover letters and two writing samples in WORD or PDF format to: Michael Crawford, Digital Director, at email@example.com with the subject line "Online Content Associate."