Freedom to Marry is the campaign to win marriage nationwide. Pursuing our Roadmap to Victory national strategy, we create the climate for a Supreme Court victory by working to win the freedom to marry in more states, grow the national majority for marriage, and end federal marriage discrimination. We partner with individuals and organizations across the country to end the exclusion of same-sex couples from marriage and the protections, responsibilities, and commitment that marriage brings.
Building on the momentum from state victories and Supreme Court wins, Freedom to Marry has set ambitious but attainable targets, aiming by 2016 to secure:
- A majority of Americans living in a freedom to marry state.
- Public support at greater than 60%.
- An end to federal marriage discrimination through full repeal of DOMA and equal treatment of all marriages for all federal programs and purposes, throughout the country. We will thereby maximize our chances of winning when the next freedom to marry case reaches the US Supreme Court – in a matter of years, not decades.
You can read Freedom to Marry’s Roadmap to Victory: Finishing the Job here.
The Director of Media Relations is responsible for securing coverage of the effort to win the freedom to marry and Freedom to Marry’s strategy and work nationwide through print, television, radio and online news coverage, and in so doing building momentum for national resolution as soon as possible. The ideal candidate will have at least five years experience in political communications, either as a media professional with an advocacy organization or elected official, or as a reporter.
Experience cultivating relationships with leading national political reporters and television commentators, as well as booking agents, is crucial. The job requires creativity in helping reporters identify new story angles and in helping our program team design programs that have maximum impact in building towards national victory. Being able to synthesize multi-faceted developments in different realms of this campaign (legal, legislative, regulatory, public education, etc.), and to explain succinctly to reporters what’s transpiring and how it fits in with the national strategy for victory, is required.
Excellence in writing news releases, quotes, op-eds, and talking points is essential, as is being comfortable in a fast-paced campaign environment operating in today’s 24 / 7 news cycle. This demanding position will require some work during evenings and weekends. The Director of Media Relations reports to the National Campaign Director and also works closely with Freedom to Marry’s Founder and President, Director of Online Programs, and other staff and messengers. S/he will supervise a communications associate, and will be based in our national headquarters in New York City.
- Engaging with political and other reporters, editorial / op-ed writers and commentators, and bookers to place stories on developments in the marriage movement
- Cultivating and maintaining relationships with key reporters
- Developing media strategies for Freedom to Marry initiatives and programs
- Writing media advisories, press releases, op-eds, and talking points
- Recruiting, training, and amplifying the voices of a variety of messengers (couples with compelling stories, electeds, unexpected supporters, etc.).
- Responding to media inquiries and coordinating interviews
- Monitoring media coverage and overseeing the preparation of press clips
- Organizing press events
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of relevant work experience
- Exceptional writing skill
- Excellence in synthesizing complex information into succinct and clear messaging
- Experience working in a fast-paced campaign environment
- Sophisticated understanding of the US political system and experience working with political media
- Prowess in building relationships with relevant journalists in print and television
- Self-driven working style and ability to juggle multiple projects at a time
- In-depth grasp of LGBT political issues and the marriage movement
- Passion and commitment to winning the freedom to marry
The position is open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity and national origin, age, gender, physical ability, sexual orientation, gender identity, HIV status, and religious affiliation.
Salary & Benefits: Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience. Healthcare and dental coverage, public transit subsidy, and other benefits.
To Apply: Email a one-page cover letter and one-page resume, along with two writing samples to: April Domino, firstname.lastname@example.org
Freedom to Marry is the campaign to win marriage nationwide. We are pursuing our Roadmap to Victory by working to win the freedom to marry in more states, grow the national majority for marriage, and end federal marriage discrimination. Freedom to Marry is leading the campaign to end federal marriage discrimination and is working across the country to win marriage in more states and educate the public about why marriage matters to same-sex couples and their families.
The Graphic Design Intern will assist the Manager of Digital Action and the Web & Graphic Designer in building digital campaigns through Freedom to Marry’s Digital Action Center to advance marriage at the state level, creating branding and graphic designs for social media, websites, landing pages, and print and online advertisements.
Applicants must have their own working laptop computer.
Location: This internship is based in New York City.
Duration: October 14, 2013 to February 14, 2013
Hours: 10-15 hours per week, preferably 2 to 3 days per week. Schedule negotiable.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite including Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of basic design principles including layout, typography, color, etc.
- Understanding of building and managing websites with HTML and CSS skills is strongly desired although not required.
- Experience with CRM platforms, including Salsa, BSD Tools, NGP/VAN, and NationBuilder is desired although not required.
Compensation: A stipend will be offered to qualified candidates. Intern may be eligible for college credits based on school requirements.
To Apply: Please email resume, cover letter, and portfolio in Word, Pages, or PDF format to: Christian Oliveira, Web and Graphic Designer, at email@example.com with “Graphic Design Internship” as the subject line.