Latino Media Relations Manager
Freedom to Marry is the campaign to win marriage nationwide. Driving the Roadmap to Victory national strategy, Freedom to Marry creates the climate for a Supreme Court victory by working on three tracks: growing the national majority for marriage, winning the freedom to marry in more states, and ending federal marriage discrimination. Freedom to Marry partners with individuals and organizations across the country to end the exclusion of same-sex couples from marriage and the protections, responsibilities, and commitment that marriage brings. Founded in 2003 by Evan Wolfson, one of America's leading civil rights advocates and lawyers, Freedom to Marry is a non-partisan, not-for-profit 501c(3) organization.
The Latino Media Relations Manager will elevate Freedom to Marry’s work to win marriage nationwide in Spanish- and English-language media at the national and state levels. Reporting to Freedom to Marry’s Communications Director, the Latino Media Relations Manager will work out of our New York City national headquarters. Some work during evenings and weekends will be required.
- Pitching marriage stories in English and Spanish to reporters, editors, and opinion writers in Latino media (television, radio, print, and digital) across the country.
- Fielding media inquiries and coordinating interviews.
- Drafting fact sheets, media advisories, press releases, and talking points.
- Providing significant support to Freedom to Marry’s Familia es Familia Latino public education program.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with Spanish-language reporters.
- Developing and implementing earned media strategies for key states with significant Latino populations
- Supporting Communications Director as needed
- Ability to work independently
- Bachelor’s degree
- Bilingual (Reading and Writing)
- 2-3 years of specific work experience in Latino media.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Keen attention to organization, detail, and deadlines
- In-depth grasp of LGBT political issues and the marriage movement
- Passion and commitment to winning equality for LGBT people.
- Self-driven working style and ability to juggle multiple projects
The position is open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity and national origin, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, HIV status, religious affiliation, political affiliation, etc.
Salary & Benefits: Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience. Healthcare and dental coverage, public transit subsidy, and other benefits.
TO APPLY: Send resume and cover letter in Word or PDF format to April Domino, April@freedomtomarry.org