Freedom to Marry is the campaign to win marriage nationwide. Driving the Roadmap to Victory national strategy, Freedom to Marry creates the climate for a Supreme Court victory by working on three tracks: growing the national majority for marriage, winning the freedom to marry in more states, and ending federal marriage discrimination. Freedom to Marry partners with individuals and organizations across the country to end the exclusion of same-sex couples from marriage and the protections, responsibilities, and commitment that marriage brings. Founded in 2003 by Evan Wolfson, one of America's leading civil rights advocates and lawyers, Freedom to Marry is a non-partisan, not-for-profit 501c(3) organization.
The EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT increases the effectiveness of our executive team by providing calendar scheduling, travel arrangement, meeting setup and general executive support. The position ensures that the travel and scheduling of our executive team is flawlessly organized and fully-leveraged by coordinating with local Freedom to Marry staff, and our development team. In addition the Executive Assistant is responsible for providing support to the activities of our Board of Directors including event-planning for our twice-annual board meetings held in NYC. The position also manages the physical operations of our New York & DC offices. Serves as the receptionist for the New York office and handles some additional bookkeeping support.
This position reports to the Operations Manager. S/he should have the ability to be diplomatic, discreet, amiable, and professional with colleagues, board members, funders, press and other stakeholders. Evening and weekend work is occasionally required.
Executive Support for the President and for the National Campaign Director:
- Maintains executives’ appointment schedule by planning and scheduling meetings, conferences, teleconferences, and travel.
- Assists executives with expense reports and other administrative functions.
- Strategically leverages executives’ travel and daily schedule by collaborating with relevant staff before, during and after travel to maximize synergies that benefit the movement and organization.
- Uses Email effectively to communicate, collaborate in a clear, accurate and timely manner.
- Reads and routes correspondence as needed.
- Welcomes all guests by greeting them, in person or on the telephone; answering or directing inquiries.
- Completes projects by self-managing time and managing mutual expectations with colleagues.
- Understands the organizations mission and goals, and prioritizes accordingly.
- Stays informed of current events particularly as they pertain to the goals of the organization and the movement by following relevant media portrayals.
- Maintains office supplies.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements.
- Manages mail, and messenger pick-up and deliveries.
- Performs light bookkeeping & weekly filing.
- Screens and refers incoming calls and general e-mail inquiries; serves as NY office receptionist.
- Tracks and maintains the organization's charitable registrations in all required jurisdictions.
- Provides logistical support for periodic board meetings, staff retreats and occasional meetings in our NY office.
- Performs other tasks as assigned by Operations Manager or executive team.
- Dedication to promoting civil rights and winning the freedom to marry nationwide.
- Strong organizational skills combined with the ability to work and solve problems proactively and drive projects independently.
- Big picture aware, with hands on details.
- Ability to build and sustain working relationships and convey a professional demeanor to external constituencies.
- Effective writing and communications skills, particularly with regard to Email in our high-volume Email culture.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced and mission driven organization.
- Notary-public, or ability to become notary public.
- Minimum Bachelor's degree.
- Facility with and understanding cloud-based systems including Dropbox, Google Apps; ability to learn, use and problem solve with other software quickly.
- Expert at using Gmail to manage workflow.
- Experience managing multiple levels of responsibility and communicating effectively across channels.
The position is open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity and national origin, age, gender, physical ability, sexual orientation, gender identity, HIV status, religious affiliation, etc.
Salary & Benefits:
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience, with a generous benefits package including (among others) 4 weeks vacation, holidays, sick days, employer paid health care, generous 401k employer match and transit benefit. The new Executive Assistant should be available to assume responsibilities for this full-time, New York City-based position as soon as possible.
How to Apply:
Email resumes and cover letters in WORD or PDF format to: Michel DuBois, Operations Manager, Freedom to Marry email@example.com