Our Director of Online Programs is “Making LGBT Great”
November 27, 2012
This week, our Director of Online Programs, Michael Crawford, was featured in The Huffington Post as a person "Making LGBT Great." Christopher Dryer from the Youth Pride Alliance talks to Michael and gets his opinion on challenges facing the LGBT community and how individuals can be a part of the movement.
Michael's been at the forefront of the marriage movement for years. He was the co-founder and co-chair of D.C. for Marriage, a grassroots group that worked on the ground in Washington, D.C. to pass the freedom to marry. Michael was a key strategist in engaging the African-American community in DC, and in 2009, his team was successful in winning marriage for same-sex couples in the nation's capital.
Since coming aboard the Freedom to Marry team, Michael has developed and implemented smart digital strategies, which have propelled marriage wins in New York and supported the work of state organizations fighting for marriage at the ballot in Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, and Washington.
In the interview with Christopher, Michael cites three things individuals can do to "help make LGBT great":
- "Come out as LGBT. If you are LGBT and are in a position where coming out does not jeopardize your health, you should come out. No more hiding or passing or making claims that it's just a small, "private" part of who you are. By remaining closeted, you are hindering our progress as a movement and saying that you think being LGBT is something to be ashamed of."
- "Come out as an ally. We need the support of straight allies more than we sometimes care to admit. If you love your LGBT friends and family, it is critical that you come out as a straight person who supports LGBT equality."
- "Donate to an LGBT organization. Roughly 4 percent of LGBT people donate to the organizations that are working day in and out to make our lives better. We should donate to them on a regular basis no matter how small the donation may be. Organizations working on behalf of LGBT youth are great groups to donate to."
- Michel Dubois, Bookkeeper
- Michael Crawford, Director of Online Programs
- Nicole Collins Bronzan, Communications Director
- Diana Brockmann, Office Manager
- Thomas Wheatley, Director of Organizing
- Thalia Zepatos, Director of Public Engagement
- Sarah Moeller, Development Associate
- Shawn Werner, Director of Political Operations
- Che Ruddell-Tabisola, Federal Associate
- Jo Deutsch, Federal Director
- Jeffrey Correa, Development Director
- Angela Dallara, Communications Associate
- Scott Davenport, Chief Operating Officer
- Cameron Tolle, Online Campaign Manager