Staff Spotlight: Diana Brockmann, Office Manager
Aug 10, 2012 at 10:11 am
Freedom to Marry has a dedicated and diverse staff working each day to secure the freedom to marry nationwide, and we want to help you get to know each of us a little bit better. This week, we hear from Diana Brockmann, Freedom to Marry's Office Manager (right). Diana works in our New York office, where she lends her expertise in project management to keeping things flowing smoothly in the office. Previously, Diana worked at the Human Rights Campaign as Board Coordinator, working to manage board meetings and events that include over 500 people. Diana studied sociology at American University in Washington, D.C. and now lives with her wife of two years, Sako, in New York. The happy couple - whose wedding photo became one of our most popular posts on Facebook ever (with 19,000 "likes" and counting) earlier this week - will be relocating to Finland in September.
1) Where are you from, and what brought you to New York City?
I'm was born in Managua, Nicaragua and raised in Miami, Florida. I moved to New York to be with my Finnish partner, now wife of two years.
2) You studied sociology at American University - what intrigues you about the field and what are some of your favorite topics within the discipline?
I was drawn to sociology because I thought it would be interesting to study all of the different theories about human social activity.
3) What do you like to do in your free time?
During my free time, I enjoy spending time with my wife and planning our next big adventure. I also enjoy music, traveling, wine, reading, writing, and hanging out with friends.
4) What has been your favorite "freedom to marry" moment - a time in the movement that has particularly resonated with you?
I don't really have one favorite moment; I tend to see the movement as a whole, all-encompassing.
5) Why does the freedom to marry matter to you?
Because everyone should be able to marry who they love.
Read all of our Staff Spotlights:
- Diana Brockmann, Office Manager
- Thomas Wheatley, Director of Organizing
- Thalia Zepatos, Director of Public Engagement
- Sarah Moeller, Development Associate
- Shawn Werner, Director of Political Operations
- Che Ruddell-Tabisola, Federal Associate
- Jo Deutsch, Federal Director
- Jeffrey Correa, Development Director
- Angela Dallara, Communications Associate
- Scott Davenport, Chief Operating Officer
- Cameron Tolle, Online Campaign Manager